Thursday, May 20, 2010

FHE Garden Boxes

My children expressed a desire to have their own gardens this year. Well space in my garden is not available because I have about 20 cucumber plants planted and growing for pickles. Anyway, I decided to whip up some garden boxes for each on of my kids.
But of course, they had to help!

And I had fun teaching them!
She was the most faithful helper. The boys got distracted by grandpa and his tractor!
These took all afternoon, but I finished just in time for FHE.
We made the kids fill them with Dirt, then Jeff transported them to their homes. Chester's Job was to make sure that EACH box had at least three worms in them!
Then we headed out to the local nursery and let the kids choose WHATEVER they wanted. It was funny to see their different idea's come out.
Haylee chose nothing but flowers. And they all had to be pink!
Chester's ENTIRE box is full of Strawberries, with instructions that nobody can eat them except for Chester! His rule, not mine.
Cordell and Kayden had SOOO many idea's that it will be interesting to see what their boxes look like in the fall. They each have a row of peas, corn and a cherry tomato plant that they grew at school.
They also chose radishes and melons that we had to plant elsewhere because of room!
This was a great family home evening activity! I even taught them the song "The Prophet said to plant a Garden"
I will have to post pictures in the fall when/if everything grows!

7 comments:

Chris and Kerri said...

What a cute and fun idea!! The boxes look great. Could you make me some for my patio :o)

Leesa Marie Jones said...

That's an awesome idea! I'm sure my kids would love to do that too. If only they had a mom as awesome as you!

Anonymous said...

Wow...your square feet garden looks good. Expecting the picture of blooms on your upcoming blog. Iflorist.co.uk

Swain Family said...

You really are the coolest mom ever! They look like they had a lot of fun! :) Awesome idea!

Amber Shellabarger said...

Yours look so much better than mine. I wish I was in your family.

Meredith Haag said...

Wow Liseanne... you're such a fun Mom! I wanna be one of your kids!

allredclan said...

You can whip up garden boxes. I can whip up eggs. I'm so glad you are my sister!