Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Marathon and Zion National Park

Our Vacation started out with Jeff running the Marathon. Not much of a vacation for him but, he chose this! Here are are waiting on mile marker 26!! .2 miles till the end! We waited... While we were waiting, there was a HUGE cheering (louder than usual) so I looked and saw a guy running the Marathon pushing a handicapped person in a wheel chair! I lost it and cried and cried! The runner looked pretty worn, but the smile on the face of the guy in the wheelchair was priceless!!

after that we waited some more! This is actually the road that they are laying on.

and then....the kids spot him and run out to cheer him on! By this time, he is sooo close to the end that he just wants to finish. I don't blame him!
I know that I give him a lot of guff about running but I really am proud of him! I got a little teary eyed when I saw him! Along the path of the marathon there were signs posted to cheer you one. Jeff's Favorite said "Stop Crying, you chose this"




On Sunday, we headed to Zion National Park! Our first stop was weeping Rock
You can't see the water falling behind them, but it is! And it was FREEZING!


Beautiful views! Here you can see the water.


They all loved it, but Chester REALLY loved it because it was a "waterfall"Our next stop was the last stop that the shuttle makes. Its a trail that takes you to the end of "The Narrows" When we got there, there was a great place to rest and let the kids play.The the boys decided they wanted to cross the river to climb a HUGE rock on the other side. This is how Jeff helped them! I LOVE this picture!
Climbing the rock!




Proud Boys!




Back on the other side of the river, Grady was G.Q - ing it up for the camera.
What a handsome little guy!

This little play area didn't last long. While there, I got SUPER sick to my stomach and needed to find a restroom fast! So on the way back from the trail...I was bookin' it.


Jeff said "You made record time for hiking back, you are quite the hiker when you need to be" and Cordell said "Mom, I have never seen you move that fast"
(Needless to say it wasn't pleasant for me, but I made it back just in time!)



On Monday we headed back to Zion's and on the way, there was this little Elk Farm. So naturally we stopped. Can you imagine running into this guy while hunting?? And he wasn't even the biggest one there!

You could buy food and feed them. This little guy is the only one that dared.

Our plans for this day was to hike to the 3 crystal pools. I love this picture for two reasons.
One - This is how Jeff hiked the ENTIRE time! and for those of you who know Grady...he isn't light. Plus, Remember Jeff just ran a marathon
Two - and my favorite reason. See Grady's Finger?? Its like that on both sides. That is how he held on to Jeff. And the higher we got, the further in his fingers went. By the top of the hike Jeff couldn't really hear because Grady's little fingers were plugging him up!


Some more breathtaking views!

There were two paths that led to the crystal pools. We took the shorter one, not knowing that it was more rugged. This is a picture of the kids on the path! Doesn't even look like a path huh?? They were SUCH good sports!




another BIG rock on the way that they HAD to climb!




So So Beautiful!




This was the perfect place for a family pic!


When we FINALLY got to the top pool, I laid down on a rock and looked up! This is what I saw! It made me a little dizzy because of the height of those rock walls!



But again, it was beautiful and SOO peaceful! We stayed for about an hour to rest and play!



They played

we rested!

It was a great mini Vacation!
















8 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like fun, love your socks!! Way to go Jeff!! What an accomplishment. My kids love the bottome of the narrows too. It was raining and cold the last time we were there too. I can't decided if that or 100 degrees is better. Glad you made it back safe!

Joanna said...

way to go Jeff. You ROCK!!

It looks like a great vacation. I have never been there, but it looks beautiful. Your kids are growing up too fast. I miss them. (oh fine and you too)

glad you found a bathroom :)

nixon5 said...

Looks so beautiful!! love all the fun pictures of your kids. Glad that you got to go and have some fun.

Suttlemyre Family said...

Way to Go JEFF!!! I lost is with the wheelchair story. My kids loved the hikes too. Way to go for the quick hike back!! That is crazy. LOVE THE SOCKS!!

allredclan said...

Ok, my favorite, by far, was Grady's fingers in Jeff's ears. That is just too cute. =)
And GREAT JOB, Jeff!!! You are my hero!

AF Nixons said...

Sounds like so much fun! Gorgeous pictures. It reminded me of our family reunion a few summers ago, we hiked the crystal pools too and it was a hard hike! Looks like you had a great time and way to go Jeff!

Karalee said...

How fun!!! The scenery is gorgeous! Congrats Jeff!! That is awesome! I love how Grady held on for the hike. Too cute!Glad you had fun!

Nixon Family said...

looks like you had a ton of fun. I'm glad you got awhile for a little bit.